Wednesday, November 30, 2011

heaven on earth

I, Molly Elizabeth, am madly and deeply in love with Cologne, Germany.

I think it might be a perfect place. First and foremost, the whole city literally looks like the North Pole exploded all over it.  There were Christmas decorations everywhere. In restuarants, clothing shops, grocery stores, and hotels. The Christmas markets were phenomenal. There were 7 total throughout the city and guess what? I went to every single one.

On Friday night, after 10 hours of traveling (not an easy place to get to from Italy) I strolled into one of the markets packed with people drinking spiked hot chocolate and buying Christmas ornaments while huge lit paper stars hung in the trees above and what do I hear? All I Want For Christmas is You playing from the speakers tucked behind the trees. I don't think I've ever had a more perfect moment in my life.






Pictures do not even do the Christmas spirit in the city enough justice.

So other than Christmas what is so great about Cologne? Well let me tell you. The people were super friendly.  We would be standing on the sidewalk looking at our map and someone would come right up to us and ask what we were looking for and if they could help us.  The shopping was fab. Too bad I have no money left.  It was such a cool mix of trendy and tradition.  We saw great clothes and ate pumpkin soup served in a jar in a cafe with hot pink walls, but we also went into the gorgeous Duomo and felt beautiful handmade wool hats at the markets. Everyone rode bikes everywhere, the city was big but fairly walkable, and there were young people everywhere.

And just to add the cherry to the top, there is a park with trails that circumferences the entire city making it easily accessible from pretty much everywhere. And guess what? I ran on it and there were SO many runners. Perfect place. I'm telling you.

And guess what? People thought I was German. More than once. For the first time this whole semester I wasn't sticking out like a sore thumb.  It was kind of weird going back to blending in, not going to lie.




In other news, I found out this week that I got an internship to write for college fashionista next semester and I'm SO excited about it (check out the website it's pretty cool)

My mom is coming tomorrow!!! dooinvoinwidnivwnd !!!!

She's actually in the air as we speak! We are meeting in Rome tomorrow, going to Orvieto on Friday, and then possibly Spello on Saturday, and Perugia Sunday and Monday.  It should be a really great weekend.  I'm taking the 5:50 train tomorrow morning to Rome. Guess what time it is right now? 12:30.

Yep.

Okay.

Goodnight. Ciao ciao for now lovers

No comments:

Post a Comment